Muscle Testing / Applied Kinesiology
Everything and everyone is composed of energy, with it's own individual vibrational frequency...and it is not just living things that have this energy, but objects, foods, etc do as well. Although the why's and how's are not completely understood or known, the energy system of our body is a useful guide that can enable a better understanding of our compatibility with other energies. Other energies are either compatible (make you stronger) or not compatible (make you weaker). Muscle testing is a useful tool that can help you identify that which weakens you, and therefore what you should avoid, so you will be able to limit exposure to things that may be creating undue burden on your body.
By paying closer attention to these signals you can enhance your ability to develop greater instinct as to those energies you are most compatible with, and therefore be able to make choices that will enhance your wellbeing. If you are unfamiliar with energy work and muscle testing this may all sound a bit "out there", but perhaps some examples of how this invisible energy works might help:
- Can you recall a time when you were introduced to someone and instantly felt uncomfortable or just had a sense that you didn't care for the person?
- Or the opposite, you are introduced to someone and instantly take a liking to them and feel as though you have known them for a long time.
- Are there any foods that make you feel tired after eating them, or perhaps still hungry afterwards??
- Or those that seem to make you feel energized and content??
- Do you have a few favorite clothing items that you love to wear, and others that just sit in the closet because every time you think of wearing them you decide not to??
While there are probably several explanations for all of these scenarios, one is compatibility - the things that make you feel good are composed of energies that are compatible with your body, and your inner instincts are at work providing guidance, even if you are not consciously aware of it at the time.
When exposed to a substance your body is not compatible with – be it a supplement, food, fabric, chemical, or virtually anything – you may, or may not, have an immediate reaction; or the response can be so subtle that you aren’t even aware of it. But continued exposure to substances that weaken your body can lead to many health-related problems, and aggravate those that already exist.
The book, The Power of Infinite Love & Gratitude by Dr. Darren Weissman, describes muscle testing this way: "The body has an innate intelligence that can be assessed with this method to determine whether it's maintaining balance. Just like the autonomic nervous system, muscle testing is a polarity-dependent mechanism where a muscle will maintain its strength as long as there's a congruency with the function, adaptablility, and the survival of the entire organism. When there's incongruency, an indicator muscle will test weak. When a muscle locks out, it's an indication that whatever is being evaluated is congruent with the overall balance of the body. When the muscle gives way, it's a sign that what's being tested is incongruent with this balance."
Although it is not scientific, Muscle Testing can be a great tool to help you gauge whether something weakens or strengthens you, and can give you an indication as to how well tolerated it will be by your system. This technique is based on the assumption that everything has an energy, or vibration, and that when holding it within your field of energy, Muscle Testing helps you to gauge your body’s reaction to it.
I have used Muscle Testing for more than 30 years and although it may not be accurate 100% of the time, it works well for me more often than not. It can be especially helpful uncovering underlying causes of health issues, especially those that are unique to your system.
The key to successful muscle testing is to have an open mind. It is also important to try to do the testing in a neutral environment with no distractions such as music, scents, etc. Drinking water beforehand may be helpful in optimizing brain function. Diaphramatic breathing can help to oxygenate the system. For additional information and tips check out The Heart & Soul of EFT and Beyond by Phillip and Jane Mountrose.
In addition to testing products and foods, you can also used Muscle Testing to gauge your body's reactions to various ideas, thoughts, etc.. An example might be if you are contemplating a new treatment method, such as acupuncture. You can use Muscle Testing to get an idea of how you body reacts to this thought. So you would use the testing technique below, but instead of holding an object you make a statement, "Acupuncture is an effective method of treatment to heal my _______." If your muscle strength remains strong the answer is "yes", if you lose muscle strength the reply would be considered a "no". Again, I realize this may sound very unusual, but I suggest you give it a try...you might be surprised at how natural and informative it can be with a little practice.
One important note: when testing an object or asking the body questions, make statements, do not ask yes or no questions. For example, "This _____ is compatible with my body." INCORRECT:" Is this ______ compatible with my body?"
If you have any questions about Muscle Testing I will do my best to answer them, email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step One: Are you ready for testing?
(Note: you can skip this step, but it is useful in determining if your body is in balance and ready for testing)
- Stand facing the person who will be testing you (if you need to be seated when doing this make sure your legs are not bent and your feet are flat on the floor).
- Extend your arm straight out to the side.
- Tester will rest one hand on your shoulder and with the other hand use their pointer and middle fingers to apply light pressure to your wrist, and will say “resist”, as you make an effort to prevent your arm from going downward.
- You will then repeat this process, except the tester will put the hand that was on your shoulder, palm up, on the top of your head and again apply pressure to your wrist area, saying “resist”, as you again make an effort to prevent your arm from going downward.
- If you arm becomes weak, this means you are ready for further testing. If not, try tapping on the center of your chest (breastbone area where your thymus is located) with your fingertips for a minute. The tapping stimulates the thymus gland, which in turn powers up the immune system and this can improve your polarity. You can then retry this, and if your arm goes weak, you are ready to proceed.
Step 2: Ready to Test
- You and the tester will face one another in a standing position (if you need to do this in a seated position, make sure you do not bend your legs, and that your feet are flat on the floor).
- You will hold the item you are testing to your chest (breastbone/thymus area) with the other arm extended straight out to the side.
- Tester will rest one hand on your shoulder of the arm that is holding the object while applying firm pressure to your wrist area with their pointer and middle fingers on the other hand, as you make an effort to prevent your arm from moving downward. Their other hand will be resting on your shoulder of the arm that is holding the object. To enhance results, you or the tester will say, “this (product) is compatible and agrees with (your name)… resist”. If your arm remains strong, the body’s response is yes and the item agrees with you. If your arm weakens and goes down, your bodies response is negative- the item weakens you.
Note: If you are testing an item that is too large to hold, use this same procedure but instead of holding it you will make contact with the item you are testing by touching it.
This is obviously not fool-proof, but the more you do it, and the more comfortable you become doing it, the more accurate the results can be.
I have tried several forms of self-testing without great success, but recently discovered a new method in the book, The Heart & Soul of EFT by Phillip and Jane Mountrose. I have found it to be extremely effective and easy to master:
- Hold one hand with the middle finger extended straight out from the hand (your non-dominant hand usually works best as you are then free to hold the substance you want to test in your dominant hand).
- The middle finger will serve the same purpose as the extended arm when utilizing the two-person method, and the index finger corresponds to the hand of the testor - the person who is exerting pressure on the arm. Hold the index finger over the middle finger, touching lightly.
- Proceed with statements just as you would with arm testing, resisting with the middle finger and exerting pressure with the end of the index finger.
This may take a bit of practice, but you can do so by using questions that you know the answers to until you are more confident you are getting reliable results.
- Form a circle so that your thumb and pinkie are touching. Hold the two fingers tightly together.
- Using the index finger on the opposite hand, attempt to push the two fingers apart. This will help you to establish your base strength and you can begin the actual test.
- Try holding the test item against your body/supported by your bent arm, or have some type of physical contact with it. If this is not possible, then visualize it in your mind, or look at it and make a statement, such as, “(item) is compatible and agrees with my body”.
- As you did in the base strength test, use your pointer finger on one hand to break apart the pinkie and pointer fingers on the opposite hand.
- If your fingers become weaker and break apart more easily, you are not compatible with the item, if they remain strong you are compatible.
The Sway Test
Hold the product you want to test up to your chest (breastbone/thymus area) with both hands. Stand still and say to yourself, “(item) is compatible and agrees with my body”. If your body moves forward - towards the item, it is considered a positive response, yes. If you move backwards - away from the item, it is considered a no, or negative test result.