Seemingly overnight my life changed forever. I went from being a happy, healthy, vibrant person to one who was exhausted, dizzy and weak. When traditional medicine couldn't provide the answers I so desperately sought, I did the only thing one can do in these circumstances: became my own advocate, researcher, and detective. I went from doctor to doctor, practitioner to practitioner, and tried numerous supplements & treatments...and along the way I learned a lot about healing:
1. We are all unique beings...what works for someone else, may not work for you. Embrace & honor your uniqueness!
2. Trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, it is probably not right for you. When I finally learned to trust my inner guide I saved myself a lot of wasted time, money, and suffering!
3. Illness is often years in the making. I ignored the warning signs that my body was struggling, until finally one day it completely & totally shut down. So listen to your body...it lets you know when it needs rest, is overstressed, or is in need of better nutrition. Take responsibility, heed the signs & honor your physical & emotional needs.
4. If you are ill your immune system has been compromised in some way. By eliminating as many stressors as possilbe will allow your body to do what it was designed to do: heal!
- Eat nutritious foods (natural, organic, whole grains, complex carbohydrates, lean meats, salmon, sardines, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, nuts & seeds, legumes)
- Reduce toxic exposure by using natural & organic cleaning & personal grooming products, as well as avoiding toxic pest & lawn care products whenever possible.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep each night
- Find ways to reduce stress in your life (meditation & relaxation articles)
- Learn more: Illness Prevention Articles
5. Look for the hidden causes of illness & symptoms:
- Food Sensitivity (explore common allergens, as well as gluten intolerance)
- Chemical Sensitivity (The chemicals in furniture, carpeting and treated fabrics can outgass for years. I've experienced headaches, heart palpitations, fatique, and even vertigo from exposure to these kind of things, as well as from chemical cleaners, personal grooming products, etc.)
- Some people can be just as toxic to you as harmful chemicals! Do your best to eliminate unhealthy relationships and people who bring you down.
- Learn more about Illness Prevention, Health Conditions, & Alternative Treatment Ideas
6. Healing is a balance within the body, mind and spirit. Become more aware of the power of your mind, and the thoughts you think. If you continually focus on what is wrong, you will likely attract more of the same. So focus on the positive & what you want to attract. Spend time counting your blessings rather than your sorrows, and always pray with gratitude for all of the good things you have faith are on the way!
7. There is a reason for everything. I truly believe there is a purpose to all experiences - good and bad. If life were meant to be easy, it would be. So keep your heart & mind open, and know you are exactly where you are intended to be!
8. In need of inspiration? I highly recommend the teachings of Dr. Wayne Dyer (my favorite is his live lecture CD, The Essence of Being in Balance), Eckhart Tolle (A New Earth is an amazing book), and Louise Hay (affirmation books & calendars).
"If you are going to doubt something...doubt your limits"
- Don Ward